I've been wanting to try fabric paints for a while, just to try a new medium and possibly reduce the strain that my fingers feel from sewing so much. I wasn't sure how the work would turn out. Below is my first attempt at painting an ice cream, which looks quite messy. I think I prefer the little 'errors' you get with hand painting though, it adds a bit of charm. But saying that I'd love to try screen printing in the future, just to neaten and speed things up a bit.
Here are my next attempts at hand painting fabric. I took a little more care with the paint and so they turned out a lot neater than the original. I also had more of an idea of the amount of paint I'd need to mix beforehand which helped to eliminate some of the differences in colour. I turned the first one into a pillow but found it was a little too small for my liking, so the three below are slightly larger.
The details took me a while to complete, the sprinkles and the eyes aren't all perfectly the same shape and size but I think they look great. They have a very different look and feel to them than my original fleece ice cream pillows. It's hard to say which I prefer, these feel a bit more 'sturdy' since cotton seems to hold it's shape slightly better than fleece, although they lose some of their softness.
I'll definitely try fabric painting again soon, and may consider expanding my range of pillows next year to include pillows like the ones above. It's so exciting trying a new medium and seeing the finished outcome isn't too bad at all!